Wednesday 26 October 2011

Festival of Lights- Diwali

It's my favourite time of the year, when the biggest festival that's celebrated in India finally arrives. Diwali or Deepawali signifies the victory of good over evil- the victory of Lord Ram over the evil king -Raavan.  People all over the country celebrate this day by lighting beautiful lamps called -Diyas , that come in numerous shapes and sizes, and by bursting crackers. We make beautiful motifs outside our houses using dry, powdered colors- and this is called a rangoli.

I made one today- and it took me 4 hours nearly. However I'm quite pleased with the result. This day is mostly spent with family members and close friends!! So here's wishing everyone out there, a Very Happy and Prosperous Diwali!!

Oh and I'm wearing this dress that I my mum made for me , along with some blue oxfords and this stone-laden Forever 21 cuff.

P.S- on scrolling down, you will find many more pictures of Rangolis (the ones that were made by my neighbours)
























My rangoli -all lit up with diyas













The entrance to my house

Stairs adjoining my house



No comments: